Keeping it original or not what's your thoughts.

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Mitchell324
Bleak

Keeping it original or not what's your thoughts.

Post by Mitchell324 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:41 pm

I've just acquired a cane rod which I intend to refurbish, I'll not say what it is just yet because I want some unbiased opinions:
Now this is my question do I go for "originality" or do I "personalise" it to my own taste.
Anyway lets have your thoughts on the subject.
I'm going, I'm going, where the water tastes like wine, gonna jump in the river and stay drunk all the time.
(Allan Wilson-Canned Heat- "GOING UP THE COUNTRY")

Fred
Silver Bream

Re: Keeping it original or not what's your thoughts.

Post by Fred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm

If it has a name and the name is a good one then restore. it keeps our history alive.
If it as no name and/or is not to your liking then alter it to soot your purposes as it will keep the rod fishing.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Paul D
Barbel

Post by Paul D » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Fred wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm
If it has a name and the name is a good one then restore. it keeps our history alive.
If it as no name and/or is not to your liking then alter it to soot your purposes as it will keep the rod fishing.
My thoughts exactly :Hat:
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

Harry
Tench

Post by Harry » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Fred wrote:
Gotta go with that... I've had a few rods rebuilt... anything ambiguous tends to get the personal touch...!
Formerly Bluelabel
Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Beresford
Zander

Post by Beresford » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Fred wrote:
I agree but sometimes even with the best intentions it's not always possible to restore to exactly as the rod was when new, as I'm discovering.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Post by Dendrobaena » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Fred wrote:
Got to agree with Fred on this one.
"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Fred wrote:
always my view
if it has a name and in half decent condition then restore it
if its in poor condition its a toss up weather too restore/refurbish or remodel (i'm not above remodelling a named rod if it gives me what I want ,but do prefer a rod in need of tlc as a doner rather than a good example )
no name ,then its a blank canvas

the only thing that causes problems is when you have a rod that's had a replacement section from another good rod ,do you go with the top or bottom as its 50/50 ,I have a sealey roach rod ,that's had a replacement top section (not a compound tapered one) of a peterstone ledger (I guess theres only so many suitable /similar tapers to go araound) ,if the bottom was a peterstone butt section coupled too the compound taper sealey top ,it would be a easier choice ,redo the bottom too sealey spec's .its the taper that defines the rod,so at some point i'll rebuild the handle too the peterstone spec's ,it won't carry the peterstone name but will get a nod too its heritage ,probably the chavender ledgerstrike .

at the end of the day its yours to do what you desire with your rod .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:15 pm

My thoughts are if you are 100% sure double sure you will never sell it later then do what you wish and have how you want it or if you think you may pass it on later then keep it original
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Fredline
Perch

Post by Fredline » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Most people would not dream of changing the spec of a named rod. But it is yours and you can do whatever you want with it.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Reedling
Zander

Post by Reedling » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 pm

I do not think you can really give an answer to this question without more facts but I would always try to keep an item as near to the original as you can and retain what you can, it is all part of its history. In the end it is up to you and how you feel about what you have, after all it is you that will use it after the work done.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”