And for my next trick....a wizardly rod

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Chavender
Arctic Char

And for my next trick....a wizardly rod

Post by Chavender » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 am

Been deliberating which project too do next ,my fred taylor style rod project ,i'm not sure if i'm doing that at the moment it gives me a headache just thinking about ,thinking about it ,so i'll be doing this project instead ,too build a wizard style rod ......

Spec: The 'Mage Minor' (wizard style) float rod .
• it will be a 11ft rod (although I fancied a 12ft version ,maybe at a later date .
• 3 piece, wholecane (inverted?) butt. Split cane middle & top.
• old bronzed metalware.butt cap ,coller/winding check & reel bands (salvaged) to keep a vintage look
• Lined tip & butt rings similar to the Allcocks Wizard.
• long handle 21½".rebuilt with new cork rings or sleave's (from Guides& blasnks)
• black whipping scheme.

I've got a suitable whole cane butt & mid section from a scrap rod (using the old but or the mid section turned so its a reversed taper section) it was a old match style rod ,I got a few years ago in a bundle of old rods ,but & mid section whole cane and would probably had a whole cane/slpit cane spliced tip or a greenheart tip (it came without the tip section) ,well the handles cork is in poor condition and i'd already removed the brassware for another project. fortunately the wholecane sections are sound ,the ferrule knocks but that's not a problem as it won't be used ,nor will its rusty rings .I did have a another rod too go with this one a no name float rod with a pale colouring that matched intending too use the two top sections and the whole cane rods butt section ,but me being me ended up using this second rod on another project

I was looking for another donor for the match mid & tip sections ,to go with the wholecane rods butt .In the meantime I was going too start a different project rod a three piece rod

i'd brought it cheap off e-bay ( £12+p&p ) to do a quick rewhip on ,as it just needed the modernish ,ok 80's black bridge lined rings .replacing. it was advertised as a 11ft rod with loose ferrules and a slight set too the tip .but otherwise in good condition ,no brand/maker labels but did have a lockslide winch fitting .and nice whipping pattern .

i hadn't really given this a good look since it arrived (my bad) its had a cursory look over then put aside for a later day ,well about a year later I've worked my way down the to do pile and its time had come. I took it out its bag and gave it a proper look over and although its ferrules where loose ,the set wasn't that bad ,nothing a little warmth couldn't handle .the lockslide fitting looked good

the sections had inters and rather fancy whippings too the rings (these would come in handy actually when replaced ,I can use the liners too make some more vintage style lined rings like I did on a older project ,so bonus)

then I checked out the handle and fittings ,this is where it all started too unravel ,

the corks didn't look right ,down the lower end & there was gaps appearing between some rings ,i moved the lockslide fitting down and more evidence of ring separation.fact is it just diodn't feel right a bit spongy actually

not only was they separating apart ,the cork rings had come away from the blank and you could twist them around .Not good this simple refurb was turning into a much bigger job .well even bigger than I feared ,i'd decided too see the extent of the damage by removing a couple of the loose rings.Got a bit of a surprise didn't I ,all isn't as it seems with this rod not only was I deceived about its actual condition :shocked: .turns out its not even a real rod :doh: :rant: its a made up one ,although it all looked like a kosher 11ft rod ,turns out under the corks was a varnished and whipped blank :Confused: seems its been a cut down longer rod and they didn't even bother stripping the blank ,just slapped some rings /sleaves over the top and used a pritstick to glue it .

I don't have a problem with what was done ,it would of been nice if they was upfront about it ,wouldn't of stopped me buying it .its a legitimate practice and one I myself do regularly to recycle / repurpose a rod .what I do have a problem with is the shoddy way they done it,just as easy too do it right ,strip back too bare cane ,add a over whip then use proper fitting cork rings or sleeves even a tubed sleave and masking tape arbors ,but no a quick slap dash approach and crap bodge job is what it got .this has just added too the deceit :Hide:

I removed more of the handles corks and I found out why the bottom end had a bulge/malformed look ,the last 6" was alloy tube that had been hammered onto the cane ,more bodging :fingertap:

Ok this is really getting out of hand and quickly going from a quick flip too a major overhaul .if I was going too have too rebuild the handle ,I did have a tubed section I could use, i' would do a better job & fit it properly with arbors etc and maybe use a couple of cork rings too top & tail it

then carefully remove the modern rings and replace with old chrome ones & rewhip in black and blend them into existing whippings . rewhip and fix the ferrules into place .I wasn't sure this rod was worth the extra work of building a new handle .and while I pondered this over a cup of tea :tea: .I thought back too my wizard project that was missing the top two sections .and then Eureka .... :idea:

if I was going to go too that much trouble I might as well do it right ,but not refurb it ,but as its sum of parts was greater than its whole ,I can use this as the second donor rod ,forget about the dodgy handle (ok at a later date i'll strip it back ,maybe make a bank stick from it) ,all I would need too sort out was the knocks in the ferrules and fit new rings too the top two sections and using the butts female ferrule to attach too the whole cane rods butt and i'd have me my wizard style rod . :fishing1:
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

LuckyLuca
Sea Trout

Re: And for my next trick....a wizardly rod

Post by LuckyLuca » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Looking forward to your progress Steve.
Finding parts which work together is my favourite part of the job.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm

one of mine too ,finding just the right piece to complete the look and feel makes all the difference .I get the idea for a rod then look at pictures of similar rods (i'll even download the Images to keep as reference) ,see the bits and features I like and aim for the items too match ,sometimes its a quick process sometimes it can take a while too find the bits 'n' pieces .I've brought whole rods just for the right tip ring .and i'll buy things that I might want too use oneday ,even though I don't know what for yet. I just know I like them and will find a project too fit it.

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:21 pm

I've looked at which style of wizard rod I want ,thought about allcocks super wizard with lined rings ,or standard layout but part of the plan is too reuse the sections of the bodged rod and keep the whipping pattern if possible and thereby the ring placement rather than duplicate the allcock ringing .I've also decided too go with bronzed (distressed/worn in look ,rather than shiny rebronzed look) because I want a vintage rather fractory fresh refurbed look .So where possible i'll use vintage bits except the handle's cork with will be new .

my inspiration a gold label allcocks wizard with brass/bronzed fittings

in particular the bronzed furniture

To this end ,my bamboo donor rod was missing its original bronze pieces (ok I used them on another project) but not too worry as I had acquired along the way some other pieces (intended for a hardy rod restoration) from scrapper rods etc.

Things are looking good parts wise ,I even have some spares left over from the bodge rod ,that should clean up nicely for reuse on other projects ,the lockslide winch fitting I think will end up on a carp rod project I've in mind ,the red button will go into the hardy spares and that butt cap will get cleaned up & polished or blued and go into my spares draws .

I've desided too use new cork sleave sections to build up the handle ,I've was going to use the 8" ones off e-bay these say they're 25mm 0\D ,but the last ones I used was more like 24mm ,and the sliding rings i'll be using are a miss-matched pair ,one is crimped to form a hood for the reels foot and the aperture is just under 25mm and its partner is 25mm ,making the hooded one a tighter fit .Now as it happens I have a cut down 25mm 0\D sleeve (from guides & blanks) and flared ends left over from my Wilson avon/quiver grip rebuild .this enabled me to do a dry fit and size things up.

a really good fit in most part ,i'll use a spare bit of cork to make the nosecone tip of the handle ,i'll use a bit of old rod as a mandrel so I can turn it down until the coller fits ,the strait sleeve will get a bit made , that will be 25mm at the front to match the dia of the sleeve.it will flare a little (this is to prevent the bands going past) and then to the rear will be taper turned so the buttcap fits flush onto it .

I've put a order in for 2 more of the cork sleeves (well actually for a few more than that .but the extra are for another project) to complete the handle with .the length will be made up of 2X 5" sleaves ,1X 3" sleave and the two turned capends ,and the butt cap ,a new red button and the coller .taking the handle grip part of the butt section to roughly around 23" just a little longer than the standard 19½" ,because a little can go a long way .a long way to make it more comfortable too fish with and a long way too balance out the rod (a tip heavy rod may result in this rod because its a unknown quantity how the parts will match up ,i'll deal with that should a imbalance be found ) .

Jeremy Croxall
Chub

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:01 pm

An interesting project Steve, look forward to seeing further progress. I like the idea of the traditional, distressed look which is probably harder to achieve than an "as new" restoration?

Paul D
Barbel

Post by Paul D » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:32 pm

A lovely project Steve, I do admire your ability to think outside of the box so to speak, theres a lot to be said for a rod or reel that proudly wears its age. :Hat:
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:05 pm

Having sorted how I was going too do the handle ,the real work can begin ,the big strip (que the entertainer tune ) first too come off was the rather nice female ferrule off the bodge rod butt .easiest ferrule removal ever it simple came off in my hand as I removed the whipping ,i'm not supreised as the glue is none existent ,must of used pritstick .

next job was too strip the butt section of the whole cane rod back too bare cane .first the plain ferrule had too go to make room for the reinforced one

With the ferrule off ,time for a quick strip ,So with a strait edge of a Stanley blade .I set about scraping the old varnish off and remove the old whippings ,scraping the the blade up the rod a small section at a time rotating the rod as I scraped

Once that was done the cane looked good

the scraping did remove the surface layer of the canes veneer ,but I have a plan for that ,next too go was the old cork !

by careful placement of a bucket I could catch the falling chrumble to be saved for other uses .

I then offered up the female ferrule and oh dear the end of the cane was two big

Without removing some material it won't fit ,and to reduce the ends dia would quite seriously reduce its strength as power fibres would be lost ,not a happy bunny

time for a rethink .me thinks

then I get a inkling of a idea

theres been a lot of craftversa talk recently and that gave me a good idea

I'll make the butt section a reverse taper right down through the handle (a striking feature of the craftversa) and that I will name it

WiZversa

And with that I checked out the mid section of the whole cane rod ,because where the male ferrule sits the cane with luck will be slightly smaller than where the but section left off ,so I removed both its ferrule's

and offered up the new ferrule

And would you believe it was a good fit and all was well with the world once more

I dry fitted the new ferrule into place ,so I could measure up for final length

then taped it up ready for the next stage of prep. and to hold in place .

after measuring the length I needed to cut it too length a couple inches shorter than the other top sections from the bodge rod too leave enough space for the butt cap and button too make up the full length for 3 equalised finished sections

had too plug the end ,plus it'll add strength and keep any water out

all that remains is too scrape the old varnish off and prepare the surface

once scraped the surface of the veneer was gone so I have a plan too bring back the veneer .I have these plastically abrasive sheets that if I gave the blank a good rub down will remove any small scratches and remaining varnish plus if vigorous enough the friction will heat the canes surface and burnish the veneer back and polished off with old newspaper should do the trick.

nice

with the length correct (well I hope correct !!)

I have a full length cork (tapered sleave) grip handy to check handle length ,I know its 23½" long ,(this is ear marked for something else ,and has flared ends) so I popped it on to the blank

A tad too long and too big but helped me figure out final grip length ,so I marked it off on the cane ,so id know where too fit the corks when they arrive

things are taking shape and i'm really liking this reversed taper idea should make for a really nice rod when done.

Paul D
Barbel

Post by Paul D » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Bloody marvellous, what a post, must have taken hours, :Hat: :cheers:
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:35 pm

took longer too write than do ,should off took my calliper too it and checked the dia of the first section but no reel problems ,just a matter of oh that didn't work ,what will I try next ! ,the tapered handle should allow it too bend right through too the butt cap .

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:45 pm

took a break from the handle build and attacked the ferrules on the intended top sections as both on the mid section had knocks .you know how it is you pick up your rod ,put the joints together and give it a waggle .As the blank flexes you can feel the movement in the joint ,maybe accompanied by the knock of wood on metal as the cane blank makes contact with the ferrules inside wall .don't worry I've a fix for that ,or in modern cyber talk a life hack .

ok this is one of those simple little jobs anyone can do ,no great skills required Its just a matter of removing the ferrule and regluing it .correctly

First job is too remove the old whipping holding the ferrule or the whipping that buts upto it ,depending on circumstances ,then mark the position on the blank so it goes back to the same place.

Nick & Twirl
I like to use a blade too knick the edge of the wipping ,holding the section loosely with my other hand then find and pull the loose end ,to unravel the whipping making the blank twirl .just like starting a lawnmower .

slash & grab
alternatively just slice up the whipping in one and peel the old thread off in one piece

making my mark

with just some gentle persuasion (twist & pull) the old ferrule just come away

on occations it may be necessary to warm a ferrule up and melt any residue ,preventing removal.

then its a matter of cleaning up the cane ready to rebuild the bond ,no short cuts of just applying glue over the old stuff ,just a false economy .better too do it right first time than risk a repeat offence.I then over whip the area to build a level foundation for the glue .any old thread will do and it doesn't need too be a uniform whipping to build up for a snug push on fit (leaving room for the glue) of the ferrule.

but before i whack the ferrule back on ,I like to score the inner surface (that's being glued,only ) it'll help the glue bond better too the metal .

when i have built up the lading area to a snug fit ,i apply my glue in a thin coating & wipe off excess covering any location marks etc

then i Push on the ferrule upto the location mark & secure if it has serrated ends.if its a male joint ferrule I align it as above but pull it back 1mm too leave a recess at the end ,then glue a bit of old cork into the recess (to trim flush when glue set ,this creates a cushion to protect the end of the cane.

leave for the glue too go off and set ,its then ready too be whipped again & varnished

and the jobs done

two down (butt sections female fitted and mid sections male done) just two more too go ,I've the mid sections female ferrule to refit and the male on the tip nice mornings work .then that leaves the rings too be replaced and their whippings blended in for a later date.hopefully my cork sleave should be here soon ,& I can crack on with the handle once more .

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”