Worrying situation at Redmire

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Mark99
Bleak

Re: Worrying situation at Redmire

Post by Mark99 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:39 am

Longfield was not backfilled as far as I know. The m25 did plough through Yeoveney <sp?>.

Jardine
Rudd

Post by Jardine » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:47 am

Mark99 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:39 am
Longfield was not backfilled as far as I know. The m25 did plough through Yeoveney <sp?>.
Thank you for the correction Mark, a slight cock up with venues.
Best regards
Mem

Mark99
Bleak

Post by Mark99 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:54 am

No probs Jardine. There was some ill feeling re Longfield. I think some fish were netted and put elsewhere (Horton?). Not being a carp angler I can't be sure.

Jardine
Rudd

Post by Jardine » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:11 am

Now I recall that Longfield was drained and netted, no idea why and as you say fish were moved to Horton? Not sure where the present stock were from and if there were any of the original fish returned. So both Longfield and Yeoveny were lost as carp waters at the time. Anyone know why it was drained?

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:57 am

If I remember correctly, there were plans to fill Longfield in and develop the site. The fish were netted and moved to Horton but the development never happened and it was eventually restocked. There are very big carp in there now. Chris Ball will have the details.
http://thelegacycarpnovel.blogspot.co.uk/

http://carpspotting.blogspot.com

http://piscespoetry.blogspot.com

"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Olly
Sea Trout

Post by Olly » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:00 am

Longfield was drained - carp going to Horton where they stayed. There is a video - somewhere - showing the netting and how the bed was very similar to a moon surface.
Longfield was up for sale - possible superstore, even an alligator/crocodile farm was suggested! PP was not given for anything in the end. So eventually all 3 pits there were left with Back Lake being rented out to Allan Stone (McMillan Nurses charity) & restocked. Eventually all were sold by CEMEX. In fact 99% of all angling waters in the portfolio were sold.

Yeoveney was split into 3 parts I believe with some still being used for fishing but no idea about restocked fish.

Jardine
Rudd

Post by Jardine » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks to all who clarified the facts about, Longfield, Yeoveny and Cheshunt. My point was that we have already lost many historic fisheries.
Best regards
Mem

Gary Bills
Tench

Post by Gary Bills » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:58 pm

The Old Buffer wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:43 am
It is all a bit sad as Nigel obviously had the best of intentions but has managed to cause upset to the powers that be. A simple case of his poking his nose in where it was not wanted. This is a shame as I believe he is a good and decent bloke who loves both angling and rural England.

I've never fished with anyone else with such an instinct for the essential spirit of traditional carp fishing. :Hat:

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:47 pm

There is a temporary ban on all Neonicotinoids, the minister said he supports making it a permanent UK ban.
Italy if i remember correctly stopped it a while back and the insects are in recovery,and buzzing.
The Guardian online quote the minister and 38 degrees have a petition running into the hundreds of thousands.
Best wishes to the Redmire fish,get well soon.

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:05 pm

Cheers Kevin, that's good news, thanks for the update!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

www.finefishingfloats.co.uk

Return to “Redmire Pool”