What exactly is laying on...

This forum is for discussing Laying On.
Snape
Salmon

Re: What exactly is laying on...

Post by Snape » Tue May 08, 2012 8:42 pm

J.T wrote:Always thought that was just a bit of artistic licence to be honest, to make it appear more dramatic. :)
I think you are right and BV would not have suggested anyone actually adopt that style.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark » Tue May 08, 2012 8:51 pm

I would love to have met and fished with him.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Salmon

Post by Snape » Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Mark wrote:I would love to have met and fished with him.
Likewise.
I know people who spent time with him and he was certainly a character.
I just looked in his book 'freshwater fishing' and he gives clear diagrams of the angle to hold a rod at when playing a fish so I am sure his sketches were figurative.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

J.T
Bailiff

Post by J.T » Tue May 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Add me to the list, would have love to have met and fished with him. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:06 pm

I have recently made some 6-9 inch goose and swan quill floats and it has just occurred to me I might be able to use them for laying-on this summer. Will they be suitable for this method??

On the topic of quills, how long is considered too long to be effective; my biggest is about 9", should I make them a bit smaller??
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Tench

Post by Vole » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:04 pm

You're about half-way there: Peter Drennan's Tench Perfections were 14" long, and Billy Lane made some 18" bodied peacock wagglers - "Missiles" - taking 5 swan for long-range bream fishing.

Edit: Should have added that the above are straight, peacock floats; curvy quills don't cast too well, so at close range, you would need extra length only to beat surface drift, or give extra load-carrying capacity.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Firebird
Arctic Char

Post by Firebird » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:00 pm

This is a moot argument. As is clear from the above, laying on is seen differently by different people. If some shot are laying on the bottom then you are laying on. All the rest is argument over minutea. Traditionally laying on with a quill used to be shown as a few shot not far from the hook, partially resting on the bottom with the quill at half cock. I remember using it as a kid on a gravel pit and catching small bream. But the line kept blowing out in loops on a day of light wind. Wouldn't fish like that now.

Olly
Sea Trout

Post by Olly » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:33 pm

I used to 'lay-on' on the Tidal Thames. Similar to the diagram above but - float was double rubber - shot was also up the line whilst some shot was on the bottom. Possibly more akin to stret-pegging as much as laying on. The float was overdepth and the line was tight from rod tip to float tip even with the float occasionally 1/2 way out of the water. Normally I fished in an eddy right on the edge of the current where it had been cast.

A running lead instead of shot near the hook and it would have been float ledgering I suppose.

Never used either in stillwater though.

Vole
Tench

Post by Vole » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:39 am

Like this?

viewtopic.php?f=171&t=3057&p=39175&hili ... mes#p39175

I wonder if you're one of the chaps I learned it from?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:25 am

I always thought the lead should be spread out and not in one place. The shot being swan or AAA and strung out a couple of inches between each shot starting about 12-18" from the hook, with a single BB about 4" from the hook. This way the bite registration is better because the fish only has to move a few of the shots before the float is moved by the current and one sees a bite. If all the shot is in one place like that diagram then the fish has to move the whole mass and will be spooked more easily when pulling the bait; but that way might be OK on still waters but why would anyone bother laying on, on still waters!!??

I only use this method on flowing water and then the diagram needs to show a bend in the line, and to keep the float more perpendicular I also use some shot a few feet below the float, and this also reduces the bend in the line!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Laying On”