The Rudd Lake

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Moley
Perch

The Rudd Lake

Post by Moley » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:06 pm

The Mole, couldn't get out on the 16th as Matron :Scared: had set too many tasks to complete, failure to comply is not an option, as the consequences are just ridiculously horrid :surrender:

But being cunning beyond the ken of the Beast, Fatty was up early and out the door and on his way to the Rudd Lake:

The lake was looking good after the three month lay off for this water. So setting up the Winfield 106 and Spinfisher Combo with a standard slow drop waggler, were to be the weapons of choice, in between managing to scoff a splendid Melton Mowbray whilst slurping some nice tea. :Hat:

First Cast at 0730hrs:

A splendid traditional start, you can't beat a tench.

Next up:

Followed by an awful load of these:

These feisty rudd always make a Mole happy; keeping alive his reputation as a tiddler snatcher :eyebrow:

Then More:

In fact two more all about the same size.....tench make Fatty pleased too :Thumb:

Then four more battling specimens tired the old Mole out:

By this time it was getting hot, the food and drink had run out and Fatty was getting tired and shakey. So Fatty packed well before mid day :surrender:

Now sitting at home with a cool beer, brilliant. :cheers:

Even Matron :Scared: is in a mellow mood.......so the Sudetenland can rest easy today. :whistle:

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Rutilus
Stickleback

Re: The Rudd Lake

Post by Rutilus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:16 pm

Congratulations Moley. That's the way to do it, with pie,tea and a mellow Matron you deserve that cool beer!

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:03 pm

You certainly have a busy time with all those fish, hardly surprising you always need so many pork pies. :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Paul D
Barbel

Post by Paul D » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:46 am

Lovely stuff Mr Mole, I love the mellow matron expression, priceless :Chuckle: knowing how fond of the odd pork pie you are have sampled the delights of a "pork n pickle" pie? :cheers:
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

Jeremy Croxall
Grayling

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:19 am

I do like a good pork pie, hence one of Melton Mowbrays finest is packed in the basket for our Fathers day picnic today, by the river of course!
I love your posts Moley, so amusing, I read them out to my wife who also chuckles.
Think its going to be a hot one today.......

Catfish.017
Silver Bream

Post by Catfish.017 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:40 am

Moley wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:06 pm
The Mole, couldn't get out on the 16th as Matron :Scared: had set too many tasks to complete, failure to comply is not an option, as the consequences are just ridiculously horrid :surrender:

But being cunning beyond the ken of the Beast, Fatty was up early and out the door and on his way to the Rudd Lake:

The lake was looking good after the three month lay off for this water. So setting up the Winfield 106 and Spinfisher Combo with a standard slow drop waggler, were to be the weapons of choice, in between managing to scoff a splendid Melton Mowbray whilst slurping some nice tea. :Hat:

First Cast at 0730hrs:

A splendid traditional start, you can't beat a tench.

Next up:

Followed by an awful load of these:
Hi Moley I picked up a 106 at a boot fair earlier this year. A couple of inches missing off the tip and the handle shortened for ledge ring I presume. I managed to splice in a piece for the tip and I've lengthened the handle to 24". It's now around 10' 9" is that correct? It's a nice little rod actually. Quite forgiving in the tip but enough 'grunt' to handle bigger specimens as your pictures testify.

These feisty rudd always make a Mole happy; keeping alive his reputation as a tiddler snatcher :eyebrow:

Then More:

In fact two more all about the same size.....tench make Fatty pleased too :Thumb:

Then four more battling specimens tired the old Mole out:

By this time it was getting hot, the food and drink had run out and Fatty was getting tired and shakey. So Fatty packed well before mid day :surrender:

Now sitting at home with a cool beer, brilliant. :cheers:

Even Matron :Scared: is in a mellow mood.......so the Sudetenland can rest easy today. :whistle:

As ever,......

Moley

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Heartiest congratulations on escaping, and on your catches, Moley. But you have me worried - mellow Matron :Scared: ? I think you must have a touch of the sun :Cool:

Catfish.017
Silver Bream

Post by Catfish.017 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:59 pm

I got a Winfield 106 from a boot fair earlier this year. A couple of inches missing off the tip and the butt shortened (for ledge ring I presume) . I managed to splice a piece into the tip and lengthened the butt to 24". It's now around 10' 6". I wonder if this is the correct length? Perhaps Moley could enlighten me? It's quite a useful little rod actually, quite forgiving in the tip for the smaller stuff with enough 'grunt' lower down for better specimens as Moleys pics testify.

Moley
Perch

Post by Moley » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:50 am

Catfish.017 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:59 pm
I got a Winfield 106 from a boot fair earlier this year. A couple of inches missing off the tip and the butt shortened (for ledge ring I presume) . I managed to splice a piece into the tip and lengthened the butt to 24". It's now around 10' 6". I wonder if this is the correct length? Perhaps Moley could enlighten me? It's quite a useful little rod actually, quite forgiving in the tip for the smaller stuff with enough 'grunt' lower down for better specimens as Moleys pics testify.
The Winfield 106 is a one and a quarter pound test curve with a length of 10 foot 6 inches, or thereabouts. The forgiving tip is ideal for the rudd and smaller species but as you correctly say, with enough grunt to cope with the bigger specimens. Having spent a bit of time doing the refurb this rod is proving to be a winner and can see it becoming a regular fixture. The Winfield Spinfisher is a lovely reel with an anti reverse ratchet just loud enough to be really annoying to other anglers :Hahaha:

It is really good matched with 4-6lbline and suits the Mole. Again it came good after a good fettling and is now a regular companion doing all asked of it.
GarryProcter wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:38 pm
Heartiest congratulations on escaping, and on your catches, Moley. But you have me worried - mellow Matron :Scared: ? I think you must have a touch of the sun :Cool:
The Mole is really The Herr Bartlett of the Mole Fortress, giving poor Matron :Scared: the slip, with ease. The problem is Garry returning home covered in fish slime, and mud, after the usual meeting of Mole and water, with reception from the Beast ranging from playful left hooks to violence so extreme that, for fear of upsetting the more delicate souls on this site, should be glossed over............

Women hey?
Jeremy Croxall wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:19 am
I do like a good pork pie, hence one of Melton Mowbrays finest is packed in the basket for our Fathers day picnic today, by the river of course!
I love your posts Moley, so amusing, I read them out to my wife who also chuckles.
Think its going to be a hot one today.......
Nothing beats a home made Melton Mowbray style pork pie, so far as Fatty is concerned Jeremy. However a major cause for concern is that In a moment of weakness The Mole gave a small slice of pie to Clive, the 1970's carp god, who now hangs around like a bad smell, hoping for more whenever out fishing :doh:

......it's the sad eyes and the whimpering, accompanied by uncontrollable drooling.
Paul D wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:46 am
Lovely stuff Mr Mole, I love the mellow matron expression, priceless :Chuckle: knowing how fond of the odd pork pie you are have sampled the delights of a "pork n pickle" pie? :cheers:
Pork 'n' Pickle pies are okay and suffice if that's all you can get hold of in an emergency but see above Paul, as the MM is just better by a country mile and home made is even nicer as you know what's in it!
Julian wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:03 pm
You certainly have a busy time with all those fish, hardly surprising you always need so many pork pies. :Hat:
The carp are just going crazy for normal waggler tactics Julian, probably because they are used to the pole or chod rigs etc. It seems every water in this neck of the woods responds well to the Mole float fishing style.....so far :Thumb:

Rutilus wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:16 pm
Congratulations Moley. That's the way to do it, with pie,tea and a mellow Matron you deserve that cool beer!
Thank-you Rutilus......as you know porkpie and good slurping tea are prerequisites for a splendid day out. Probably, at this stage of life, more important to Fatty than the fish he catches to be entirely honest!

As for a Mellow Matron :Scared: ......that really is in the lap of the fishing gods.

Sometimes the luck of the draw works for the Mole, sometimes hideously not................

Many thanks to all those who enjoy this drivel too.

As ever,........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”